FastFacts – February 2015

Employment
Favorable December 2014 unemployment rates in Moffat (4.2%), Rio Blanco (3.2%) and Routt (3.0%) combined for a tri-county improvement of 1.2% from one year earlier. The December 2014 Colorado unemployment rate was 4.2%, with the U.S. rate at 5.6%.

Industry
Mining held its place as the largest industry in terms of total wages for both Moffat and Rio Blanco counties in the third quarter of 2014, accounting for about a fifth of all wages. Construction led the way as the largest wage-producing industry in Routt County.

Retail Sales
Latest available state retail sales figures showed Routt County (7%) and Rio Blanco County (5%) outpacing year-to-date figures from the previous year, with Moffat County running behind its previous-year figures by about 6%.

Real Estate
January 2015 median list prices for homes were up 10% in both Rio Blanco and Routt counties, and were down by 9% in Moffat County, compared to the same period last year. Favorable foreclosure ratios were running at lower than 1 of every 1,000 homes.

Energy
January 2015 coal production was up 47% in Moffat and 86% in Rio Blanco, and down 45% in Routt, compared to January 2014. Moffat oil and gas numbers slightly trailed January 2014 figures, while Rio Blanco oil and gas outperformed the previous January.

Climate
The end of February found snow-water at Rabbit Ears, Buffalo Pass, Ripple Creek and Burro Mountain running 10% to 20% below 10-year averages. Stagecoach and Yamcolo reservoirs were holding at 10% to 25% above usual water levels. The Yampa River and White River were flowing 9% to 20% above their 2007-2014 averages.

2015_02_FastFacts_Final

Products & Services

Fast Facts